Yves Tumor - Heaven To A Tortured Mind
Apr 3, 2020 (updated Apr 9, 2020)
"Are y'all really *this* easily impressed?" -CLJesse
Everytime i listen to Yves Tumor, i get a brain tumor ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ˜

I don't like Yves Tumor. Not him as a person per se, but his music is just so irritating to me to the point where everything about this character is just exasperating and actually laborious to listen to any of his albums fully. Safe in the hands of love is the first album of his that I've heard, and man was that a saddening listen. Me, coming into that album, seeing the amount of acclaim it got, getting my expectations high, listening to it, and after finishing finding myself in genuinely disgusted by the sleep inducing, repetitive, and borderline novelty sound it has. The only track I come back to is Noid. I feel like the sort of Lil Peep-esque vocals work perfectly over this sample, not really describable, but when you listen to it, you'll understand what I'm saying.

New Era, New Decade, New Chance for Tumor to impress me. The single released prior to the album dropping, Gospel For a New Century, was actually the best work Tumor has treated us with maybe... ever? Being more inspired by rock music while still having the elements which make Yves Tumor Yves Tumor. Now, me after listening to that song, getting excited, anticipating the album, and after listening to the album itself, it found a way to be even worse the SITHOL, which honestly, I'm not even mad, I'm just astonished.
On the surface, I thought that this was definitely better than SITHOL, but the more I kept listening and the album kept going, around the second half starting from Dream Palette, I found close to no enjoyment whatsoever, except for a couple of instrumental parts here and there, with it all feeling like a huge blob of music, being able to hypnotize the listener, completely shutting them down. There's also just one thing that really irritates me a lot on this album... THE GODDAMN FEMALE VOCALS GOD THEYRE SO AWFUL. Like what was the point of adding another person's vocals if you're not gonna use it properly, and just make it feel as if they were unnecessary, which they are. But anyways, my main issue with the songs on SITHOL was that, though having some really beautiful passages, it all felt too drab, boring, and mind-bogglingly tedious. And now, on Heaven to a Tortured Mind, Tumor completely leaves what was beautiful on SITHOL, with almost all of the tracks that I dislike, which make up for about 3/4 of the album, being bad because they just sound hideous. A good example of this is Medicine Burn. Its ugliness does not come from the mixing, the vocals, the instrumentation, it doesn't from any of those, it comes from all the sounds combined. Though I liked the vocals on Gospel, Medicine Burn has having a heavier instrumental, making Yves sort of moody vocals not blend well with the production at all. And lastly, it's just not that memorable. I don't see myself remembering what A Greater Love if I haven't relistened to it in more than 5 months. The same for Hasdallen Lights. I can just see myself never revisiting tracks like that, but that's besides the point. I will give it that the instrumentation is quite good, but not enough to save the whole album.

Identity Track, though having vocals like Tumor is about the faint and die, at least I can say that I like it more than the other songs. The production is really weird, going from a guitar sample on the first chorus. Then we have a small interlude where the samples sort of crash into each other. After that, a new sample appears, which is from what I hear a jazz sample, that sounds really nice. Hasdallen Lights actually has a really relaxing beat to it, sort of reminiscent of something The Avalanches would maybe do, but slower, but what really ruins this song for me is THE GOD AWFUL VOCAL PERFORMANCE. It's literally, and I mean LITerally sounds like a shittier version of Childish Gambino on Awaken My Love, and just mimics it in such a failing way that I even feel bad mentioning that great album next to this one. It tries to be funky, but fails, falling right on its face. Romanticist is one of the best tracks on here, probably the best, and it's kind of funny because this doesn't sound like Yves Tumor. Reminiscent of Chamber Pop/Rock, Romanticist is a really relaxing track, the chorus is very catchy, the instrumental is amazing, it sounds like what the title suggests, romantic, and just feels like one of the most fleshed out, focused, and all around great tracks on here, with all the aspects being great on their own, and when added make even better magic. Asteroid Blues is very skeletal, full of empty spaces. Being an instrumental track, it isn't really great, with the same focus being acoustic drums and bass, which gets boring after a while, with some samples here and there by surprise. It honestly feels like it's trying to copy what Tame Impala did on The Slow Rush: An instrumental track before the last track; the lengths are almost identical, but one is fun, and the other is emaciated and messy.

The only full track I like is the aforementioned Gospel For a New Century. The progression is really interesting, similar to Only Acting by Kero Kero Bonito, just drums, bass, and the singer, exploding into a punk rock "stadium" sound, with all sorts of colors of red, blue, green, with hints of black and white in there, which is an emaculate sight to look at, something I wish I could look at in my life. I thought I liked tracks like Kerosene!, since the instrumentals sounded great that I would instantly love them, but Yves and this Unknown woman had to come in with vocals sounding like they don't want to be there. The guitar solos are absolutely awesome, but they are not enough to save the track. As for Folie Imposée, well it's the same issue; Sean sounds like he's tired of making music, he just wants to end his career at this point. He sounds like a knockoff SZA from her Z-EP era. And ONCE AGAIN, IS IT A SURPRISE AT THIS POINT, the production outdoes him by miles it's actually irritating. Like, DO SOMETHING MAN, I don't even wanna like the production, just YOU do something interesting. I don't want to like the production more than the artist themselves, just Bowie just does that; makes his production too good for him to work with. On Strawberry Privilege, he's on the verge of sounding like IceJJFish... What the actual fuck. The main highlight of the album, the production, isn't even good, it's basically Asteroid Blues, but with vocals.

I don't wanna talk about this anymore, it's just too much hate for me to handle. This is the end of the review. Should you listen? No. Is the singer interesting over the production? No.
Do I Like Yves Tumor?...he has potential, but at the moment, I will have to say... No.

---Best Tracks: Gospel For a New Century, Identity Trade (kind of), Romanticist
---Worst Tracks: ...
Apr 3, 2020
CLJesse is our chaotic neutral equivalent.
Great review!
Edgy
filtered
Apr 3, 2020
Quoting a review a lot of people hated is a good way to get people to hate your review
Apr 3, 2020
damn idk who cljesse is but thats a pretty good quote bro
Apr 4, 2020
imagine giving a yves tumor album a bad review because of dua lipa
May 7, 2020
"Lil peep-esque vocals" you have lost all credibility
May 7, 2020