Charli XCX - Pop 2
Jun 15, 2019 (updated Dec 21, 2019)
Charli XCX might be one of the best and most creative pop artists of our generation.

She started off with kind of basic pop music with her first two albums, True Romance in 2013 & SUCKER in 2014.

She was featured on the Fault In Our Stars soundtrack with her smash hit Boom Clap. To boost her popularity, she sang the chorus to one of the best selling songs of all time, Fancy by Iggy Azalea in 2014. It was certified 7 times platinum by the RIAA.

She took a break from music, being featured on some songs. And in 2016, she came back with a 4 track EP, Vroom Vroom, delving her feet into more experimental pop and bubblegum bass. Production was handled by SOPHIE, one of the best producers in the PC Music collective. It received mixed reviews by critics, but is a fan favorite.

In 2017, she decided to release two mixtapes, Number 1 Angel and Pop 2. I won't talk a lot about N1A, because the real star is Pop 2. Number 1 Angel was a great mixtape, with explosive songs like 3AM, and more chill songs like Babygirl.

Pop 2 is really her Magnum Opus. I will go through my favorite songs off of this masterpiece. Track 10 is an emotional rollercoaster about her struggles with love, s*x & addiction. Delicious has similar themes to Track 10, but I have to mention it because it's one of the most experimental tracks on the project. The sample of Boom Clap, the extremely autotuned vocals etc. it's really amazing. Femmebot & I Got It are the most addictive tracks on the mixtape, it's the fun that comes before the sadness. The Cupcakke & Mykki Blanco features are the most fun moments on this. Their flows are on fucking point.

Pop 2 received the critical acclaim by both fans and critics that it deserves. I really love every tracks and I don't want this review to be 10 pages long, so i'll stop here.

edit: IF IT WASNT FOR OUT OF MY HEAD THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN a 10 EASY :"""""((
Edit 2: It's still a pretty amazing album, but the more I listen to it, the more the flaws appear. The experimental cuts are phenomenal, but the more basic cuts (Porsche and Out of my Head) drag the album down and just feel out of place. Like they were just put there to have a higher chart position. But other than that, this is still an amazing, but Vroom Vroom has officially become better, but talking full projects, this is easily her best!!
Jun 18, 2019
POP 2 GANG
Aug 14, 2019
Very good review but IMO this album is BIG ASS TRASH
Oct 4, 2019
I told you you were too tempted to give this a 100.
Oct 4, 2019