Death Cab For Cutie - Asphalt Meadows
Sep 23, 2022
A short review: Death Cab For Cutie have always been a band that I’d never loved nor hated. A lot of people I know with great music taste do love them though so it’s time I gave Death Cab a chance.

I Don’t Know How I Survive: The guitar based verse1 into a dynamic chorus is nice, the second verse being more edm and keys based is interesting but the second chorus drags a little bit I do like the bridge and return to the intro at end, 8/10.

Roman Candles doesn’t really hold my attention mostly. Asphalt Meadows is more spread out from the start which suits the vocals well and when the guitars and drums kick in simultaneously I’m even more interested. The vocals do really sound engaged here in a more emotive way and the build is nuanced with intention and enjoyable detail, 9/10.

Here To Forever starts off very post-punk but mostly it feels very Gang Of Youths. Foxglove Through The Clearcut is spoken word. Takes a while to get there but it does take off, and fantastically I might add 9/10.

Up next the upbeat tempo of I Miss Strangers is very well received from this listener, 9/10.
And Fragments From The Decade is another album highlight. On I’ll Never Give Up On You the eastern part at the end is really nice

Overall I struggle with his voice a little and some passages are a bit sleepy or monotonous for some reason but the songs are generally great and I could see this potentially being a slow burner too. Essentially it seems like I prefer the tracks that build into something bigger and also the more uptempo songs.

Check Out: I Miss Strangers, Asphalt Meadows, Foxglove Through The Clearcut, I Don’t Know How I Survive, Fragments From The Decade.

Skip: Here To Forever, Pepper.

Comments