Spellling - Mazy Fly
Feb 22, 2019
This sounds like a James Ensor painting came to life, and all the clowns began performing a water ballet.

Mazy Fly is intentionally ominous, and there is a constant feeling of being submerged under water. I was worried that the record would feel bogged down by the need to be spooky, but Chrystia Cabral does a great job of keeping the melodies bright and the lyrics witty. These songs are eerie, but she is fully aware of her weirdness and leans into it to create fantastic atmospheric pop.

When this album goes full freakshow, I love it. 'Real Fun' is a blast. The image of aliens looking for a good time around the sun is oddly specific and relatable. Halfway through, the song drunkenly wobbles to this incredible synth wall of sound. It harkens back to John Carpenter's horror soundtracks. I think the record has a lot of references to soundtracks in general, which gives the whole album a cinematic quality I quite enjoy. 'After Life' has a sassy theremin and a wild saxophone. This sounds like a battle between The Day The Earth Stood Still and Kenny G, which is entertaining. She does a great job of exporting her audience into odd and unique places.

The album feels as if it could fall apart at any moment. Cabral incorporates a myriad of different sounds into her songs, but she always feels in control. There is an organic quality to the way that she utilizes synthesizers, and she does an excellent job at guiding her audience through the strange fantasies in her mind. I was pleasantly surprised; it is much more engaging than I was expecting.

Also, the album gets a special kudo for the friendly looking cow next to Cabral on the cover!
Feb 23, 2019
The cow is my favorite part
Feb 23, 2019
It’s like she’s saying, “moo, I am ready for this mystical odyssey.”
Superior30