Sigrid - Sucker Punch
Mar 8, 2019
I am pretty surprised; this album is a solid and well-made debut! Sigrid has an ear for stadium-ready pop and a pleasant singing voice. At times she leans a little generic, but there are enough fun bops that I enjoy the entire record. She sounds like she would be a fun performer to watch; her confidence makes the overly anthemic bops more convincing than I was expecting. Sigrid's bravado is infectious, and she partners her fun personality with dynamic synths for a surprisingly resonant listen.

The album kind of shoots it's load a little early with 'Sucker Punch,' which is the electro-banger my body has been craving. Sigrid does a nice job at fitting punchy synths with lyrics about punches (fun!). This music sounds like it was tailor-made for college acapella groups as it has a lot of shifting dynamics. She performs the shit out of this album, and I like hearing an artist working hard on her debut. 'Mine Right Now' also slaps pretty hard; she does an excellent job at keeping the production clean and exciting. I even enjoy the singles more contextualized within the album

This album is not without its faults. I do not love her ballads, and I don't think they fit the bombastic nature of the project. Sigrid's voice can sometimes sound awkward over the powerful synths. Her songs feel like they would play at the end of Disney Movies, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is music for a specific mood.

I went into this ready to be bored, but Sigrid's debut is confident and fun. Yay for some fun pop!
Comments