Marika Hackman - Any Human Friend
Aug 9, 2019 (updated Aug 11, 2019)
Marika Hackman is a wiseguy. Her lyrics oscillate between spikey barbs and intimate desires without shifting in tone. Following her compelling (if not lengthy) sophomore effort, Hackman returns with her silver tongue and some added synths to rake herself and her lovers over the coals. The songs are catchy, and the guitar hooks are quite satisfying. 'come another' has a fantastic hook and lyrics that capture Hackman's often self-deprecating images. For example, 'So Keep a cradle warm for me/ I want to be somebody's baby' is both intimate and infantilizing. The album is full of these double meanings that are deprecating but also intimate. Her lyrical play is always witty and charming, and this album is no exception. This record also flows very well as an album, which was a significant issue I had with Hackman's previous work. The THX-like sound effect connecting the first two songs really got me excited for the remainder of the album.

Marika Hackman is just doing a good job. This album is thoughtful, inventive, and filled with clever word-play. I think she can still develop her sound further, but this another solid and enjoyable record from a great artist. Do not skip this one!!!!

One last Hackman note: 'Bath is Black' (from her first EP) is one of my favorite songs ever, for some reason I find it utterly spellbinding. Check that out too!
Comments