Björk - Vulnicura
Feb 11, 2019
"How will I sing us/Out of this sorrow?"

For me, this album is tied with Homogenic for the best Björk album. I think Homogenic represents the best of Bjork's artistic endeavors: it is obsessed with the sublime, the beats dig into your goddamn soul, and her amazing voice dances upon woozy electronic beats. The effect is hypnotic music that feels timeless and spiritual. It is the ultimate statement from Björk, the artist in absolute control.

Vulnicura's magic is in its unflinching honesty coming from Björk the mother and human. These songs are messy and embarrassing; she depicts herself as weak and fragile. After the mythical, but distant Biophilia, Vulnicura is an emotional assault I was not ready for but desperately needed. Leave it to Björk to write the single most destructive album. It is beautiful and gripping; I am amazed as much as I am sobbing. There is not a single dull moment, and 'Blake Lake,' 'Family,' and 'Notget' is one of the most spectacular passages of music this decade. She is able to dig an emotional well I honestly didn't think was possible. I am blown away every time I hear this record, It is pain crystalized in 9 tracks.

3y