The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form
2020 MUST HEAR ALBUM #18

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT, PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

It genuinely felt at times like this album would never come out with just how long the gap between its announcement and release was, as well as the multiple delays that plagued its release, but here we are, 'Notes On A Conditional Form' is actually out and really is quite a spectacle of an album, for better or for worse, and in my opinion, almost entirely for better.

Usually the overall aesthetic and rough direction of a new album can be quite easily mapped out in your head by connecting a lot of the dots between the singles leading up to its release, however, even though The 1975 released a whole 8 tracks before the full album was released, and I enjoyed all of them (except for the overly long self-titled track), it was impossible to predict what the full album would sound like primarily due to the overall lack of instrumental, aesthetic and lyrical themes connecting tracks like 'People', 'The Birthday Party' and 'Guys' together. It just seemed like the band put way too much on their plate from the get go and in the end, that seems to be true to some extent but I applaud them for such ambition and the listening experience for me seemed to be genuinely enhanced by the unpredictably of the album and even after a few listens, the album still never fails to keep me completely hooked throughout its long duration.

While I would be lying if I said this album had absolutely no flaws or throwaway tracks, yet there really isn't that many of them in my eyes. 'The 1975', 'Streaming' and 'Don't Worry' are honestly the only ones that come to mind but in the grand scheme of things those lows are vastly overshadowed by tracks that I absolutely adore such as 'Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America', 'Me & You Together Song', 'Guys' and 'If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)' and a lot more that I won't bore you and list, but that will easily make this the first album from the Manchester quartet that I come back to regularly.

This is as far from "an album for everyone" as The 1975 could have gotten but for me it marks the most ambitious, enjoyable and unique 80 minutes the band has ever given us and provides me with enough soundscapes, genre blends and ideas that a lot of other artist wouldn't even be egotistical enough to even attempt to put on a single album that it ends up being a listening experience that is wholly unique and memorable as well as The 1975's most personal, poignant and beautiful piece of work yet. I don't know how to close this off so I'll just say this: I love this album.
Chocolate band?
May 22, 2020
i agree with you, this album is underatted
Aoaystheory