Kendrick Lamar - The Heart Part 5
May 8, 2022
Jazz

An artform I've partaken in my whole life, whether through listening or playing piano in a jazz band. This is a sound that means a lot to me, thats why To Pimp a Butterfly was a recorded I listened to before I got deep into hiphop. I grew up in a small town in the midwest and my exposure to black culture was minimal. I had never heard this side of the story. Kendrick used this jazz sound that he perfected to deliver a messaged not for me, but I needed to hear. Not only did this record start my journey into hiphop, but it also started my journey into understanding the world better. It's a masterpiece imo.

That's why this long wait to hear another jazz record waa so painful, a sound I fell in love with was missing. I missed it. Then after seemingly deciding not to drop a single for his upcoming record, Mr. Morale and The Big Steppers. He dropped this. The Heart Part 5. I cried. I have NEVER cried to a hiphop song, but hear I am, crying in my car as I write this review on my phone at work, losing money. I have to write this though.

The sound is immaculate. Every instrument sound immaculate and is litterally mixed perfectly. So many textures fill in this piece, guitar patterns or drum fills, there is always a new texture. This is pure jazz too, take away his rapping and it's still a perfect jazz song. However, Kendrick on this track is perfect, he flows so well on this instrumental it's insane. His pen hasn't dulled at all, in fact, I'd say its sharpened. Every line feels impactful and important while still remaining stuck in my mind after every listen..... I find myself speechless now. I can't begin to describe this feeling. I didn't think I'd cry, I was excited like everyone else but this is different. This is perfection.

10/10

2w
It hit hard for me too, this I my favorite song from the heart series.
*Is now

Spelling mistake there
2w
@TJ_King I agree, by far the best