Beabadoobee - Fake It Flowers
Probably a tribute to the sound she grew up listening to.

I got to know beabadoobee's work in some videos of an indie channel in my country and I ended up enjoying some songs. I listened to "She Plays Bass" many times, but after a while I just forgot and ended up not coming back to her songs (I hate death bed so much).

Excited to get back to her work, from the beginning I had the impact of receiving something different from what I was expecting, in a bad way. I expected the presence of light synthesizers or a more dreamy sound, which only starts to appear very subtly after the fifth song. What I received in fact was alternative rock from the early 00', a sound that is already outdated, which did not match with the image I had of bea.

I can't ignore some highlights, of course. Tracks like "Emo Song" and "Further Away" are where I found the sonority I was hoping for, albeit in the same line as the rest of the songs. "Yoshimi, Forest, Magdalene" and "Sorry" are the best songs of the set, the first has a present and striking vocal, while the second has an almost triumphant atmosphere. Both still have guitar lines full of personality, something that was missing in many of the other songs.

After a much more interesting half-turn of the album, the rest is unfortunately disappointing. I can't say that some moments didn't catch my attention, but in fact the point of conflict was that I was expecting something much more inspired and better produced. It's kind of sad.

Fav Tracks: Yoshimi, Forest, Magdalene, Sorry, Further Away
Least Fav: Back To Mars, How Was Your Day?
Comments