Imagine Dragons - Smoke + Mirrors
Jul 3, 2020 (updated Dec 30, 2020)
One of the big reasons for Imagine Dragons' success on their debut album was the inability to pin down the band as "one thing." And that range of styles continues on their sophomore release. If you were a fan of "It's Time," you've likely already gravitated toward the single "I Bet My Life." Meanwhile songs like "Trouble" and the galloping disc closer "The Fall" will also grab your attention for their full band folkiness. If you were drawn in by the darker, more aggressive nature of "Radioactive," may we suggest you check out the heavier lament on fame called "Gold," the edgier beats of "Friction" and "I'm So Sorry," a track featuring some nasty funk guitar from Wayne Sermon and stomp-heavy rock. It's truly one of the standouts on the album.

Meanwhile, the band also shows a knack for crafting a great pop hook. "It Comes Back to You" shows great crossover potential with poppy infectiousness and a soulful swing and "Summer," a song the band recently debuted live, also leans more on frontman Dan Reynolds' emotional vocal performance.

With such a variety of styles, you might think it'd be hard to fit it all together, but Imagine Dragons have done an admirable job of making Smoke + Mirrors a full listening experience, from the infectious keys to triumphant grooves.