AOTY 2021
Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure
Oct 22, 2021
HOT TAKE: The critics are bonkers. Prioritise Pleasure is miles away from an 80+ score, let alone a 93. This album took some of the worst parts of generic pop music and implemented them all with substandard execution. The vocals are iffy, the lyrics are shallow, and the production is absolutely horrendous at times.
Oct 23, 2021
No dude no
Oct 23, 2021
Agree, Some songs are really embarrassing to listen.
Oct 26, 2021
I’d agree that the lyrics are mundane but that’s what I really like about Self Esteem. Due of the lack of abstraction I think you can get a more nuanced understanding of another’s experience. By focusing on the specific, the ‘meaning’ becomes broader, less prescribed and more subjective. I find that this means that when I do find certain depths within a song, I notice them because there’s resonance with aspects of my own internal experience.
A bit like watching Blue Planet instead of watching Finding Nemo. I enjoy different styles in different ways.

Mundane but delightfully so.
Nov 5, 2021
You're being contrarian for the sake of it. There's no universe in which the lyrics are "shallow" or the sounds "generic". Those claims are objectively false.
Nov 6, 2021
@gdf Those claims can't be objectively false as there is no objective truth in that area. I just shared my subjective personal perspective on the album just like you did on my review. We could discuss whether the lyrics are shallow or if the album sounds generic but just calling those claims objectively false is not the way to go.

As for the contrarian statement, I think my reviews match the public's more often than not (which they don't have to), and my review on this project isn't even too out there, with the average rating being 65 and mine 40. But even if it was, I am just sharing my honest thoughts and feelings on the album, which is the idea of the website - for people to share their viewpoints on music.
Nov 23, 2021
Your reviews are just this site's average. You just want to be liked and noticed people jumping on this one.
You're actually so unfair, I bet if the album was better musically and lyrically you would have given it a higher score which is extremely biased
Right? If only I could fight those unfair biases and instead, rate albums based on how politically progressive and "critically acclaimed" they were.
Arca - KICK ii