Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Jul 15, 2020 (updated Sep 14, 2021)
When confronted with the words "jazz album", most people, including myself, more often than not immediately think of Miles Davis' seminal 1959 record, 'Kind of Blue', and for very good reason.

In early 1959, Miles Davis and his star studded sextet consisting of the likes of John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley, had once again come together at the 30th Street Studio in New York City, and this time not to make yet another hard bop classic, but to fully embrace the modal jazz elements that could be heard on a much smaller scale on previous releases, such as 'Milestones'. These sessions we're not just an important event in the career of one Miles Davis, but in the history of jazz as a whole.

'Kind of Blue' is not a record that has ingrained its name in popular music folklore by means incredibly complex and explosive instrumentation, the likes of which would leave you on the edge of your seat and have the hairs on your arms stand up. In reality, the music is quite sombre, low-key, and at times, pretty straight-forward. What truly makes this album special for me is its, what at first glance may seem like, simplicity. Yet you soon get sucked into it's world, it's vibrant and emotive soundscapes, it's unique and cutting-edge modal approach, it's lukewarm and melancholy energy. Where this album really shines is in its beauty. It's the most breathtaking and beautiful jazz record I've ever heard and for someone who usually favours the hard-bop and bebop sides of the jazz dice, I can't help but connect with this album more so than I would have ever imagined. In my opinion, it's just impossible to dispute, that 'Kind of Blue', is a masterpiece.

nostalgia's Tags