AOTY 2020
Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water
Aug 18, 2020
I thought after listening to and actually loving Linkin Parks first 2 albums I would check some of the other """classic""" nu-metal albums and after listening to this turd I think I'm never gonna listen to a nu-metal album that's not by Linkin Park.

Okay, I guess some of the songs are not completely awful. After we get past the awful Intro and the opening track, the following couple of tracks aren't that bad. "My Generation" and "Full Nelson" aren't anything great, but they're somewhat enjoyable as mindless filler nu-metal anthems. "My Way" is the album's first great cut. Yes the lyrics are obnoxiously whiny, but the songwriting and the instrumentation are quite excellent.

And this is where the album takes a nosedive and never recovers. Every track after this point is either cringy, whiny, annoying, insufferable, unpleasant, tasteless, or just god awful in general. I guess some of the instrumentals on the slower tracks are tolerable, but Wes Borland even if he's not an amazing guitarist is absolutely wasted here. Just take a look at the real opener of the album "Hot Dog". The first 30 seconds or so are great, the guitars and bass all sound tight and it sounds like it could be a pretty fun track and then at around 38-second mark Fred Durst comes in, rips off the chorus of the Nine Inch Nails classic "Closer" and on the verses says the word fuck 49 times. Comedy gold.

I guess there's one more great track here, "Take A Look Around". It was used as the theme of Mission Impossible 2 and is a pretty great theme and is easily the best track here. But other than 2 worthwhile tracks this album was one of the most annoying experiences I've had recently and embodies all the worst qualities of nu-metal.

Best Tracks: Take A Look Around; My Way

Worst Tracks: (there's a lot) Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle); I Want You To Stay; Getcha Groove On; Rollin' (Urban Assault Vehicle); Outro; Hot Dog; The One; It'll Be OK; Boiler
Comments