Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
May 10, 2020
This album is so bad! I hated this album so much! And I still don't even hate it as much as I did when I heard it on iTunes… it's like the last album I had complete faith in was… Tupac's To Pimp A Butterfly.

But, while Kanye's previous album is mostly divisive among both fans and critics, To Pimp a Butterfly features one of the best and most complex narratives of modern hip-hop.

Kendrick Lamar's lyrics can be surprisingly philosophical and hypnotic at the same time. In many of his songs he makes dark, brutal and pessimistic observations, asking us to relate to his worldview

But it still sucks because he doesn't speak "clever" or anything. Instead, he pulls an old stock trick by shamelessly copying the music of other artists. Most "experimental" rappers tend to copy the style of his or her idol, and make little or no attempt to develop their own sound.

Which is why we only consider Kendrick Lamar to be a genius. Why think less of him because he doesn't have the "X" factor? Why label him as innovative for not knowing "Pharrell"? Kendrick Lamar has proven that he can't be a good rapper unless he borrows from pop artists and he has started to take that life in stride, perhaps because he has a pop icon by his side. To call him an innovator for not having "X-factor" is a disservice to a creator that is just developing into his power.

I will, however, say that I don't understand why Kendrick is the only one not writing with The Weeknd. Granted, that could just be a case of Kanye West not being in the studio

Overall, To Pimp a Butterfly I'd a boring slog of an album and should have been given to a good rapper. Too bad, because otherwise, this album deserves a 5/5
oh's Tags
What?
What? [2]
What? [3]
What? [4]
May 11, 2020
Is this some AOTY-lore I don't get?
May 11, 2020
this is a really good review oh
What? [5]

What? [6]
What [7]
What [8]
May 11, 2020
did you guys not read the review
What? [9]
did you guys not read the review [3]
i don't get it
did you guys not read the review [4]
May 12, 2020
so you label this Noise pop, then you say this album is bad, but you say you liked this album except for Kendrick and it’s would be a masterpiece if it wasn’t from Kendrick. I’m confused
May 13, 2020