clipping. - Visions of Bodies Being Burned
Oct 23, 2020
Around a year ago, noise rap trio Clipping trio would their 4th album ‘There Existed an Addiction to Blood’ which had perfect timing being released right about a week from Halloween. For any experimental music lover it was basically their go-to soundtrack for Halloween (including myself). But if you told me they would be releasing another album next year around the same length, I would have never believed you. Here we are.

I’ve heard many people making analogies to this being like a movie sequel- and being eons better than the original. Personally, the sounds I’ve heard feel really lackluster and disappointing.
I mean the title alone (‘Visions of Bodies being Burned’) got me anticipating for the release of this album. Everything was aiming for a fantastic release- great cover, great singles, (and for everybody who pre-ordered the album and got to listen to it early) great reviews. Like any album I review, the bar is very high (exceptions, of course), 8 songs into the new Clipping, I would give up hope on this actually being a pleasant or slightly interesting listen/experience.

Here we go....

‘Intro’ feels really atmospheric and hollow, there’s no flavor whatsoever, it attempts to get you spooked up for this album, but fails to in trying. I feel like Clipping loaded ‘There Existed an Addiction to Blood’ with this type of production, so it kind of lost all the magic for me. ‘Say the Name’ has some good storytelling, I just wish there wasn’t atrocious production, just like ‘Intro’, it gets really tedious and irritating. I mean, who truly appreciates the part where ‘Visions of Bodies being Burned’ in some deep, mellow voice (crickets). ‘Wythchboard’ is just unlistenable: for a song that was only 30 seconds, I had such an urge to skip this song entirely. Aaaaahhhh!!!!!! ‘“96 Never Campbell’, the features seriously saved this song, making it the first actually listenable, it’s actually fun, even the production is okay honestly. Not even close to having any repeat quality, which is something that would totally apply to ‘There Existed an Addiction to Blood’. ‘Something Underneath’ is masterful, the samples are immaculate and are perfect, which is something I didn’t get enough of for this album. The lyrics are very graphic, I feel like I’m that man running to his burning house in ‘Story 2’ (hands down the best song made by Clipping). If only the rest of the album was like this, for as ‘Something Underneath’ is an adrenaline pumper, ‘Make Them Dead’ is another dreadful that uses a lot of the noise elements on their previous album, but again fail to. I mean, it’s very loud but that doesn’t immediately translate into great music, more like bloody eardrums, yeah that’s the right term. ‘She Dead’ makes me ponder why there is minimal instrumentals on this album, I was really expecting there would be more than THIS. I was expecting an overload of eerie production. Saying that this is a perfect horror/Halloween soundtrack, you’re not only wrong, but it’s an insult to the movie genre entirely. ‘Invocation’ had a lot electro-acoustic vibes so I bumped it up a couple of scores, I hear people talking about how this is unlistenable, this is more listenable than more than half of the songs on this album. Even the replay value, the replay value! ‘Pain Everyday’ has some good samples and blah songwriting, one of the more forgettable songs on the album, sadly. I really liked the ambients on this track and I think they so could go in that direction, other than that the songwriting brings it down, which I know is going to get a lot of livid Clipping fans telling me ‘Why?’ No. ‘Check the Lock’ is bland and sounds like a Lay Potato chip. It’s like they need to sacrifice some element of making a good song every single time. Example: if it has good songwriting, it has meh/bad instrumentation and vice versa. This is one of those examples, which can also apply to 3/4 of this album. ‘Looking like Others’= ‘What’s Good’. The loud and bass-boosted production makes it sound exactly like that. It was kind of funny, me thinking to myself ‘huh this sounds really familiar *lightbulb* oh! This is almost exactly “WHAT’S GOOD”, just under the clipping name. Oh I understand’. Anything I liked about this song is ruined by the fact that it sounds exactly like ‘WHAT’s GOOD’. ‘Drove’ is hands down the best interlude, but it’s still around a 6 or 7, compared to all the interludes on ‘There Existed an Addiction to Blood’ being perfect all around! It feels like they took a recording from some average zombie apocalypse movie and pasted it in here for some filler.... I still like it. ‘Eaten Alive’ is a post-industrial minimalist song. The samples are so... alien! Again, I wish the songwriting was better, this song had lots of potential to be the best. Guess not. ‘Body for the Pile’ sounds just like ‘She Bad’ just they dropped a bit of octaves. Like what, they really thought we weren’t paying attention, how dare they! Like they were like ‘Fuck it, we’re out of ideas, let’s just sample a song from the album and make it lower and get some new lyrics. BOOM!’. ‘Enlacing’ feels like Clipping produced a song off Good Kid, m.A.A.d. city but never got featured in the end. ‘Secret Piece’ is just like ‘Piano Burning’ from the last album, just way shorter, and less flavor.

Whew!
Oct 23, 2020
Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to see a review from you!!! The seven month silence is broken!
Oct 23, 2020
Nice to see you back. I don't really see where you're coming from with some of your takes (Enlacing being in any way related to GKMC). Didn't get much from this album personally, but I think there are some notable qualities worth mentioning.
Oct 24, 2020
@Inglume the maximal production on that song, and how it sounds fairly similar to ‘Swimming Pools’.
Oct 25, 2020
Body for the Pile is literally a giant reference to GKMC and you said nothing about it
Oct 25, 2020
What if we finna agree😳🥺
Oct 26, 2020
@okcomputer12127 first agree with us
Oct 26, 2020
We finna agree!
Oct 27, 2020
@landlalt It’s very lacking in flavor and growth for the band. And while it might please long-time fans of clipping or abstract hip-hop fans, it does nothing to me. I guess we can’t finna agree 😭
Oct 28, 2020
@okcomputer12127 we finna not agree then
I minna slightly disagree but not mostly and its kind of understandable why you gave it a 5!!!
OMG AUTOCORRECT I SAID FINNA NOT MINNA GET IT RIGHT