AOTY 2022
black midi - Hellfire
Jul 16, 2022 (updated Jul 17, 2022)
This album lives up to its name. It's literally hell.
First thing I want to say is that black midi's writing has matured so much. The lyrics on this album are written so well and thoroughly, and always relate to one common theme throughout the album. What is that theme? You guessed it. Sin. Hell. Satan. And the way they push these themes to your ears are so well crafted, not only through the lyrics but the instrumentals as well. These instrumentals take up so much noise. They are chaotic, displeasing, loud, everything you may imagine hell might sound like. Not only that, sometimes the instrumentals are deceiving. At first, they may actually sound nice, but then there's this sudden change and blasts of noise pierce your eardrums. Just like Hell. I really like the influence of old-timey music on this album as well. I can't really put my tongue on what genre this album may be, it's just a huge mix of different styles. One things for sure is that this album is a concept album. The story behind this album is huge and well written. I'll dive into that another day. Geniunely amazed at this. The only problems I have with this album are the quiet/slow parts. Most of them can get boring and they drag on for way too long. Other than that this album is pretty much flawless.
TBE. Welcome to Hell.