Björk - Homogenic
Jan 26, 2021
Classic review 4: Homogenic

I remember being unable to process the fact that this album was made in 1997 when I first heard this album. I was in complete and utter shock when I listened to the drums in Hunter.

If I could describe Homogenic in one word, it would be: cold. I live in a country that has no seasons, but when I'm listening to this album, I can literally feel snow falling outside my window. Take Unravel, for example. The vocal melodies, her vulnerable vocal performance, and the swooning production all make me picture a quiet snow fall. All Neon Like sounds like a foggy, dark, and mysterious forest. The vocal harmonies and the synths in the background of Immature are heavenly. Then, Alarm Call probably has the most catchy and fun beat in the entire album. I really can't say much else about the album that has not already been said before. Every song is a perfect mix of Art Pop, Trip Hop, and Electronic, Björk's voice is chillingly amazing throughout, and the performances are ridiculously great.

There are however, three songs I want to talk about: Hunter, Jóga, and Bachelorette. These three songs are prime examples of what makes Björk the legend that she is, and they also happen to be my favorites from the album. Chamber music, Baroque Pop, and Electronic music have never been fused together as flawlessly as on these songs. Hunter sounds like a cry for war, with its insanely well-produced drums, her confident voice, and the grand crescendos that appear throughout the song. Bachelorette is an apocalyptic-sounding trip hop epic, with its booming pianos, gorgeous storytelling, and marvelous orchestra. And finally, Jóga. Somehow, she was able to arrange a string orchestra so well, it sounds like it came from the Classical period. Her voice sounds fierce and assured, the bassline is so well-made I didn't even notice it until I revisited it, and the electronics are simply mind-blowing.

There's just a few issues I have with Homgenic. One, I wish I liked Pluto more. There are some elements I like, like the background vocals that appear twice, but it doesn't really work for me when put together with the other songs. Then, there's also the fact that other Björk albums make me feel more than this one does. I'm not really as passionate about this album as I am with Vulnicura and Vespertine.

But... yeah this is legendary.

Favorite tracks: Hunter, Jóga, Unravel, Bachelorette, All Neon Like, 5 Years, Immature, Alarm Call, All Is Full of Love

Least favorite tracks: Pluto
Little Oblivions
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - CARNAGE
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
CARNAGE
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - L.W.
L.W.