Anderson .Paak - Ventura
YESSSSSSSSSS LAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD!

Malibu was one of those formative records I listened to as a 16-year old that exposed me to the swooning, groovy sounds of neo-soul in a personal, introspective way through .Paak's lyricism that had me falling in love with an entire genre. It was on repeat for days and days back in my high school summers.

Fast forward to November 2018, as a (slightly depressed) college freshman, when I heard .Paak would be concluding his Beach Trilogy with Oxnard, I was excited as all hell, and though I thought it was a good record, something felt slightly off, like .Paak hadn't quite managed to stick the landing and give my 16-year old self the closure it wanted. I'm glad that .Paak came through a mere six months later with a record that did.

In a certain way, Ventura doesn't revolutionize .Paak's sound at all. Where it does shine however, is in how personal and homey it sounds, like .Paak is no longer working round' the clock with aspirations of greatness. He knows hes made it there, and he's comfortable now just producing solid tunes that celebrate the things he loves. It's a triumph, not just in his artistry, but for the fans who've been along for the ride since he first started turning heads during that magical summer when I first heard Malibu.
Apr 12, 2019
Great review and great reflection on .Paaks music up to this point.
Thank you!!!
Apr 12, 2019
So many solid reviews lately!
Benny