JID - The Forever Story
Aug 27, 2022
I actually didn’t plan on checking this album out. But seeing the positive reception it got, and all the hype surrounding it. I kinda had to. I used to be big on his last album, “DiCaprio 2”, but it seriously wore off me in recent years. The main problem I had with it, was that JID wasn’t saying anything at all. Sure, he was showing off his technical ability, but what good is that if the album lacks substance.

This record sees JID improve in that aspect. He does try to touch on some issues, even tell us some stories throughout. It’s still very basic though, it doesn’t impact me at all. One thing I noticed is, that every time he was starting to dig into a topic. He threw in random rhymes, completely changing the subject. Felt like he was dodging topics he set up for himself before. So the result are songs filled with thematically charged lines and lyrical miracle filler. Okay, so lyrically this isn’t impressive at all. But that isn’t JID’s strength. His strengths are his flow, delivery and cadence. He does mostly deliver on those aspects. He doesn’t push his rapping ability, as much as he did on his older material. But this record is still filled with tight flows, and bars delivered in a crisp manner. The features surprised me too. 21 Savage sounded amazing, he even out-rapped JID. Kenny Mason had a nice chorus on “Dance Now” and Yasiin Bey’s presence is always welcomed. I feel like he could’ve ended the album after “Stars”. The last couple of songs, while being vibey don’t offer anything at all. They end up bloating the album, making it drag on.

Overall, this ended up being a nice surprise, having some fun songs I’ll probably be returning to. But it can’t challenge this year’s best rap records. Hell, it wasn’t even the best rap record that released yesterday. It’s one of those albums, while enjoyable at the moment I know I’ll be forgetting all about as time passes.

Favourite Tracks: Surround Sound, Raydar, Kody Blu 31, Stars, Sistanem.

Strong Seven /7

3mo
The only actual review of the album on here
3mo
@Bigfakelaugh Thanks lmao. Just out of curiosity, is your username a Billy Woods reference?
2mo
Do u think the album will be better if 2007 was on the album?
1mo
@Yea it wouldn’t really change anything for me tbh