cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD
Nov 23, 2021
cLOUDDEAD was a experimental hip hop group that was comprised of members Why?, Doseone and Odd Nosdam. This is their self titled debut album. It’s hard to pinpoint them to one genre, but it’s essentially abstract rap combined with ambient music. If you have a backpacker friend you’ve probably gotten this album recommended. If not let me be that figure in your life. None of the tracks here abide by normal song structure rules. They have these beautiful instrumentals, that build up and dissolve. With some verses sprinkled in. Most of the MCs have these off kilter flows. Especially Doseone who also has a nasal voice, that can be quite off putting at first. But somehow it all works. The build up to each verse is usually magical. I do think that the second half of the album, wasn’t as strong as the first though. There’s a big chance you won’t end up liking this, but if it clicks you’ll have an album that’ll end up sticking with you. This is truly one of the most innovative hip hop records, and it stood the test of time.

Favourite Tracks: I Promise Never To Get Paint On My Glasses Again (1), Apt. A (1), Apt. A (2), And All You Can Do Is Laugh (1).

Strong Eight /8