Kero Kero Bonito - Civilisation II
Apr 21, 2021
The bonito massacre pt.2?

Well...that's what I expected this to be. After what is safe to say as one of my more infamous reviews on the site being my review on KKB's debut album bonito generation, I think this makes up for that review.

Alot of the problems that I had with bonito generation like it being too child like and honestly very gimmicky were solved here. It still has that child like tone but its presented in a way which I can get behind. The production is really bright, playful and full of personality with some nice synths. Sarah's vocals, while not really differing much from the style she displayed on bonito generation, are a lot more tolerable and genuinely enjoyable. Lyrically KKB have shown a pretty big improvement. While for the most part it's pretty simplistic, I didn't find it to be as gimmicky like it was on bonito generation. It is on the track well rested where I was really impressed though as the song has a really cool concept which I would've never expected from KKB as they cover themes of a different sort of pandemic than the one we're currently dealing with in real life with terms like "anti-humanity" and "apocalypse" which dare I say come off as deep.

Best tracks: The Princess And The Clock, Well Rested