Joji - BALLADS 1
Oct 26, 2018 (updated Oct 26, 2018)
Coming into this album, I didn't have a lot of high hopes. Joji's last EP was pretty bad, with only one song i'd ever come back to. Dispute my low bar set however, this album, at lest for me, was really a step up. It's a big step up in terms of tone, concepts, lyrical abilities and production, with some of the most interesting, fun, creative and fully fleshed-out songs in Joji's discography. This album (the first half at lest) displays that Joji can be much more then another sadboy soundcloud rapper, with memorable production and euphoric vocal melodies. The album sounds literally in pain, with subtle distortion hinting at some inner conflict that even the lyrics can't really showcase yet. And while the quality of tracks does start to dip around track 8 with some songs becoming nothing more the background noise, it's nothing truly bad here like some of the tracks on In Tongues. Do I wish Joji utilized some of the rapping abilities that he showcased in his Pink Guy records? Yes. But if this is the direction he feels that he needs to go down, then this path is more then a welcome one, if not slightly thorny.

Favorite Jams: SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK, WHY AM I STILL IN LA, CAN'T GET OVER YOU

Lest Favorite: XNXX