Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
May 2, 2019
Hide your kids. Bury your wives. The whitest band of the 2010s are back.

Is it just me, or is classic prog coming back into the general conciseness? We've got acts like Vampire Weekend and King Gizzard making a stamp in the popular music scene, but with that same jam band mentality that groups like The Greatful Dead or Yes have had in the past. Obviously we are far from a prog renicance, and I'm not complaining, I just thought it was interesting to note.

This is my full experience with Vampire Weekend, but from what I've heard they seem like they have a classic album stored in their talents. They're a very polerizing band, and that just comes down to their sound. I can see this record being quite the brain teaser for some, because you'll either love their brand of tweeny pop complexity's, or you'll find their sound uniquely pretentious. And on this record...yep they've achieved peak whiteness.

Father Of The Bride is essentially a scrapbook of all the ideas that Vampire Weekend have had over the last couple years, and the results are a unique blend of jam band fusion and big, giant chorus filled pop, that groups like Fleetwood Mac perfected. However musically, some of these scrapbook ideas can come off has only slightly corny. The almost a country-tinged feel that this album has a small amount of stagnation to it's delivery, with the project only bringing through the spark of imagination that Vampire Weekend have been known for on occasion.

But is it a awful experiment? Hell no. It's definitely a fireside sing along album that is successful in creating a nice collection of earworms, if that's what the group are going for. Ezra's production skills from working with Beyonce has payed off, with this album at times sounding glorious. The melodies in this Harmony Hall are some of Ezra's most complex and more wacked out, making for really interesting music. And there is a hint of Bob Dylan and Billy Joel in the way these tracks are created and the aestetic of the music.

A constant throughout these tracks is the weirdly trap-esq influence inside the production, and the vocal modulation inside these tracks. While not awful, it's still distracting at the best of time, and turns great tracks into lesser, messy compositions, with great ideas but lackluster execution.

Overall, while it's lacking in the cohesiveness of previous records, it's still an impressive collection of power pop jams that is further proof that Vampire Weekend are a creative force in pop rock, and while the feel good melancholy can get tiring after a while, there is enough creativity and detail to make this yet another solid body of work from the group.

Simply put, for a band this white, their music sure is colorful.

Favorite Jams: Sympathy, Sunflower, My Mistake

Lest Favorite: Spring Snow
May 5, 2019
Prog? Hmmm.... hmmmmm... hmmmmm.....
Idk about that one