Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
Uh...hot take?

Holy Jesus. This is not just a popular release. This is THE popular release. Like, how critically acclaimed can a album be?!

The top rated album of 2019!
Apparently the best hip hop record since To Pimp A Butterfly!
A 'modern day classic'!
The next Madvillany, if not BETTER!

Jesus, did this album suck you guys/gals off and then give you a goddamn Ferrari? What the hell is so special here?

Granted, I was going into this record with pretty high hopes. Freddie Gibbs is undoubtedly one of the most underrated rappers of our time, with him consistently bringing great verse after great verse from what I've heard from him. And Madlib at this stage doesn't need an introduction, a producer that crowned himself the king in the underground rap scene. So, this should produce at lest a interesting project.

But...I know i'm going to be disappointed. Christ, it's hard to see any album that has received this much ass-kissing in a while. It can't be that good...can it?

Uh...
Not really?

Look, let me get this out of the way right now: this is a good record. The production and flows being spit on here are extremely pleasant to the ear holes for sure, especially the production. This is some of the smoothest, detailed production i've heard since Injury Reserve. And the more classic hop-hop feeling is very much more refreshing now then ever, with this feeling like it could have come out in the 90s and would have fit as snug as a bug in the charts. And something I can offer is, while still sounding classic and accessible, this record is filled with top notch production choices that made this a really enjoyable listen. And yes, Freddy continues to be a powerful and talented rapper, talking about strong, powerful, interesting topics that are biting, powerful and thought provoking.

But...goddamn it, this isn't doing it for me.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't really do that much for me. I respect it, for sure, and I understand the reason why people are going buck-wild for this, but for me personally, I really can't see this being more then a 70. I enjoyed it, yes, but is it the masterpiece that literally everyone has been saying it is? To me, no. For one, for some reason, I can't keep any of these songs stuck in my head. I've heard this record about 5-6 times, and each time I forget it pretty much every time I hear it. There are moments that I truly love: The hard hitting production is something truly to behold, and Freddy Gibbs is a talented rapper, but there is nothing in this album that I would consider a masterpiece or something I've 'never heard before'. It's just a smooth, pleasant and interesting hip-hop record that i'm just not that interested in. Doesn't mean it's bad, just means it's not as good as I was thinking.

Overall, it's fine. It's very well produced, well performed and interesting, but for me, just doesn't scratch an itch I've ever had. Sorry y'all.

Favorite Jams: Flat Tummy Tea, Cataracts, Gat Damn

Lest Favorite: Obrigado

Goddamn i've already lost all my followers due to me being absent for huge amounts of time. Fuck this is gonna kill me
PipePanic followers: 3

I can definitely see where you're coming from though. I gotta relisten to this thing
Jul 3, 2019
@RakkSingles the fear has never been more present honestly
Jul 3, 2019
Tbh, as a massive Piñata fan I see where you're coming from with Bandana. I think I've listened to this album 12 times now and it's somewhere between a 6 and an 8. The more attention I pay towards the flow, lyrics, or beats, the less I enjoy it. So far, it's an album best left in the background for me, which is a shame because I could look deep into Piñata and get a lot out of it.
Jul 3, 2019
Also, on the losing g followers thing, I think everyone did. Like, sometimes duplicate accounts will be deleted from the site, which will lead to people losing followers. I lost a few on the night I did that ANIMA review and I thought it was because of how popular my opinion was, but then I found out other people did too, so yeah dw, it's all good.
Unpopular* lol
Jul 3, 2019
lol you just had to give it a 69! I see what you mean though. I find that a lot of people were getting too hyped up by the record and not paying attention to its finer details. Of course, I gave it an 100 so why am I even talking.
Jul 3, 2019
@InglumeSingles your opinion is as valid as mine so your allowed to talk lol, but yeah I do appreciate the detailings in the production, but it just feels so flat to me.
@thomansy18 OH thank God, was having second thoughts about it all this morning, and yeah this deffinitly feels like a background album for me
Jul 3, 2019
The replay value of Bandana is insane. I disagree with the whole “background album” idea. A background album would be something like any of Drake’s last 3 albums. I don’t think this meets the criteria. You really gotta pay attention to the pictures Freddie paints here to fully appreciate it I think. The sound/vibe of the album and sooo many of the bars have been stuck in my head since it dropped.
Jul 3, 2019
@rydenoir trust me I've given this thing my full attention, but I can't for the life of me remember anything except the intrumentation in Flat Tummy Tea and the Swearing pastor skit. Glad your loving this record tho
Jul 4, 2019
Fair enough dude! Yeah I love this so much, I think even more since I wrote my review!
Jul 7, 2019
I feel the same. I expected my mind to get blown but hell nah. It's good but not great
Jul 10, 2019
Astute- you're right, it's "good" in the sense that it's never bad and nothing more.
Jul 16, 2019
This is not better than pinata like cmon. Yes, freddie has some of his best verses in his discography BUT man does madlib sound outdated and boring on parts and he isnt as expressive as he was on pinata, the beat switches kinda save it. This isnt close to tpab or the next madvillian but freddie wants all the heat. If he really be forward bout being better than doom, ill listen but does his claim hold up? Yes, freddie said doom can rap good, but was worried about making a better album and did it
luna128
House of Sugar
Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence
Chelsea Wolfe
Birth of Violence
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Lana Del Rey