3teeth - Metawar
Jul 5, 2019
So... industrial is my 'turn off brain' music.

Music that just hits a nerve in my soul and gives me that jolt of heavy aggression that I need in the mornings to get me ready for the day. That's industrial music for me. The thicker, in your face and heavier the better in my opinion, and 3teeth consistently hit that margin of on your face, if not slightly corny, pieces of slime that I love to eat in front of my family. Their past two records have given me that, so I had both high and low expectations going into this.

And low and behold, this album stretched the nook quite nicely.

There are definitely still elements that hit the sweet spot for this record, but there are a couple of tracks here that just don't do much for me. For starters, 3teeth have started incorporating more traditional metalcore instrumentation in order to, I suppose, appeal more to a broader audience of heavy music, but 3teeth play better when they don't give a fuck who they are playing for and just be the heaviest punch in the face possible. There are a couple of hits here that do not feel as dense or as in your face as others, and so the overall enjoyment of the project suffers. However, despite the soft punches...goddamn when those punches land i'm in heaven-like hell.

This is as abrasive as industrial gets in 2019, and it's much needed in a time almost filled to the brim of media unease and political country in a world that is already about to explode with the stuff. It's a push to the face, which I very much appreciate, despite the new metalcore elements. And even if it gets a little repetitive and predictable around the end, it's still a steller explosion of aggression. But, this sound can get a little two dimensional at times, and yes, the repetitiveness is there, but when you lock into this albums groove? Nothing better.

Overall, 3Teeth need to really start to break free from the formula that they have inadvertently made for themselves if they want to be more then that one industrial act. But, for now, this album kinda slaps.

Also, there is a cover of Pumped Up Kicks that I cannot take seriously for the life of me. It's too much of a joke at this point for me to take this as a serious statement on gun culture. Maybe for b-side perhaps, not an album cut or the closer to the goddamn album?

Favorite Jams: ALTÆR, SELL YOUR FACE 2.0, AMERICAN LANDFILL