Weezer - Weezer (Black Album)
Feb 28, 2019
Hmm. So this a dumpster fire.

Weezer haven't had the best couple of years, with their records being flammed from head to toe (deservedly). It was clear that Weezer just wanted to have fun from the moment I hit play on The Teal Album (doesn't excuse it from being god awful). And it's also clear that Weezer want to move to a more pop centric sound on this album. From the funk layerd Can't Fight The Hustle, to the Uber hip hop influenced Zombie Bastards, it's very clear from the first couple of tracks this is Weezer tinkering, experimenting and playing around with more poppy sounding tracks. This album is...well it's kind of like Muse's Simulation Theory in a weird way. And I do mean weird. Even the new Xiu Xiu album made more sense then some of the choices in this album. Weirdly, it's almost like a really shit episode of Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, with this fake happy exterior being coated in this black gross coating. It's like the polar opposite of the White Album, if the White Album was injected with 50 oz of fucking dumb. And not every idea is fleshed out to it's fullest potential (no thanks to Rivers sometimes poetic, mostly moronic lyrics). But at the same time...this is one of the more interesting Weezer albums in years. It might not be the Weezer we are all familiar with, but hell, at lest they are trying something new. It's much better then Pasific Daydream in that regard. It's not boring. But...it does have slightly Raditude glazed eyes. It's Weezer really falling into bad habits again, and I fear if they continue down this path...yeah a Lil Wayne verse isn't the worst we could get.

But holy fuck these lyrics are beyond fucking dumb. Like by God dude.

Favorite Jams: High as a Kite, Can't Knock The Hustle (in this context, it's not that bad of a track), Too Many Thoughts In My Head (but holy shit these lyrics suck)

Lest Favorite: I'm Just Being Honest

55 is very generous for a "dumpster fire" dontchathink
3y
legit went back to lower score after listening a couple more times
3y
Simulatiom Theory was so much better than this tbh