Weezer - SZNZ: Autumn
Sep 22, 2022
Look, I know they've been interpolating Vivaldi's Seasons on the openers of each of these EP's, but why is "Tastes Like Pain" written to the tune of Vivaldi's Winter? Like the track sounds fine, but like... shouldn't that be on the next EP? Is this subtle commentary on how some people start celebrating Christmas way too early when it's clearly still Autumn? I dunno lol

Anyways, at this rate, Winter is gonna be the best installment in this SZNZ series, because each one of these keeps getting slightly better than the last. This is arguably the cheesiest sounding EP yet with its dated synths and overt pop-rock flairs, but it's honestly not as cringey as some of the stuff on Spring, and I think this batch of songs is overall stronger than that of Summer. There's a lot of fun choruses here, like on What Happens After You, Get Off On The Pain, and Run Raven Run, and even if I don't totally vibe with the lyrics on Tastes Like Pain, I think the energetic climax they built to was generally done pretty well.

Honestly the lyricism is what is holding back this project a lot. Cause yes, while it is kinda cute at points in that nerdy-Weezer-kinda way, it also makes it hard for me to connect with these tracks, as I take them less seriously. I also think some of the mixing was kinda bad, like the guitars on What Happens After You and most things on Should She Stay.... And Francesca was just a swing and a miss for me in general.

But mostly, this is pretty decent! Just some fun tracks that aren't harming the musical sphere in any sort of way, but it doesn't really feel like it's trying to be this serious thing anyways. It's knowingly cheesy, and while that's something that will probably keep me from returning to this over time, I can still respect the vision and the execution of this particular installment.

2mo
I think tastes like pain was originally meant for SZNZ winter but they decided to put it in autumn for some reason
2mo
Tastes Like Pain is on Autumn because it feels Autumn's theme of anxiety better than Winter's theme of sadness.
2mo
@Danfromumbrella That makes sense in that context, but I still find it a little odd that they decided to break the pattern that they set up. Maybe they'll do a sad rendition of it at the start of Winter, but I guess we'll see