The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Oct 18, 2021 (updated Oct 18, 2021)
As soon as I heard “De-Loused in the Comatorium” last year, I was addicted Now I have it on CD, this is a fucking amazing album!

It starts off with this trippy, psychedelic intro before it hits you with the main hook of “Inertiatic ESP”: “NOOOOOOOOOOW IIIIII’M LOOOOOOOOOOOST”! This track hits you with every highlight this album has right from the get-go, with Omar’s fantastic guitar playing, the complex, technical compositions and the bonkers, staccato-style drumming, meanwhile Cedric switches to a much cleaner vocal style compared to At the Drive-In, which brings out his superb tenor highs! There’s also the very cryptic lyrics that, throughout the album, detail a man who enters a coma after a drug overdose (there’s even an entire book of this, believe it or not!). And then we get to the album’s highlight, “Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of)”, which is an excellent showcase of how this band plays with loud-soft dynamics while also incorporating its catchy-as-all-hell melodies into such a lengthy track. I also think Rick Rubin’s sometimes questionable production choices actually benefit tracks like this.

This level of songcraft and technical skill extends to every single track here, from the Latin grooves on "Drunkship of Lanterns" to the slow-burning "Televators" to the 12-and-a-half-minute prog epic that is "Cicatriz ESP"! Not a single part of the instrumentation falters and goddammit I love this album to bits! It's infectious, the pacing is super well-done, the songwriting is top-tier and, overall, "De-Loused in the Comatorium" stands as my favorite prog rock album ever!

Fav Tracks: Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of), Inertiatic ESP, Cicatriz ESP, Eriatarka, This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed, Televators, Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, Drunkship of Lanterns

Least Fav Track: NORPE!!!

Score: