Weezer - Van Weezer
May 8, 2021 (updated May 8, 2021)
This Weewee has a serious problem with staying up.

Look, it's fucking Weezer. It's par for the course that whenever they release something good, it doesn't last very long. The situation with "Van Weezer" is not different. This album is pretty much the band noodling with 80's hard rock/glam rock idol worship. The first half gets the job done, with "Hero", "The End of the Game", "I Need Some of That" and "Beginning of the End" serving as pretty catchy Weezer songs. I wish "All the Good Ones" didn't give me "Beverly Hills" flashbacks, despite it being an okay track, but the front portion of the record is solid as is. It's when "Blue Dream" comes in that the whole gimmick falls flat on its face. The aforementioned track especially lifts the exact riff from Ozzy Ozbourne's "Crazy Train". I'm pretty sure they're just shitposting at this point, but it still comes off as aggressively lazy.

It's when Rivers Cuomo utters the words "Pump it up into me, please daddy, please daddy" that I just roll my eyes. I'm not infuriated, I'm just bored. Even when I appreciate what the band is doing, it's not a sound I'm particularly fond of. When they try something stupid, it's expectedly stupid. It's well-produced (for the most part) and there are some catchy tracks, but everything from the insipid lyrics to the lack of fresh ideas to the overall messiness of the tracklist are what you expect from your average Weezer record. After my overall enjoyment with "OK Human" a few months back, I'm disappointed but, again, not surprised.

Can't wait for that Weezer-inspired Weezer record they have planned.

Fav Tracks: Beginning of the End, The End of the Game, I Need Some of That

Least Fav Tracks: She Needs Me, Blue Dream, 1 More Hit

Score:
5.1
Weezer
Plats's Tags
Jun 1, 2021
nah fuck that i'm waiting for that dance-rock record that they have also planned