Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
Oct 6, 2019 (updated Oct 7, 2019)
Usually, when I review an album, I stick to it for a full opinion until I have my full thoughts or else I lose my train of thought. It was especially the case for "Ghosteen" because I was sick this weekend. Now that I feel a lot better, goddamn, I have plenty to say about this record.

I haven't checked out Nick Cave's discography yet (in fact, I'm starting the binge in two weeks), but I am aware of what happened to his son, Arthur. It's some pretty tragic stuff and I bet it had a huge impact on his life. But I think he's kind of starting to see a flash of light in the darkness. It can definitely be heard in the instrumentation, which is a mix of chamber influences and glacial, ambient synths. It's absolutely gorgeous, yet there's still a lot of pain behind everything due to Nick's aging voice and cryptic lyricism. This is also probably one of the slowest listening experiences you'll have for a while, clocking in at 68 minutes, with two 10-plus minute songs on the bottom end, and it requires a lot of your time and multiple listens to fully let this record sink in. That didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying "Ghosteen", however, and the title track has left me with plenty of goosebumps, tears and, since I was sick, runny noses. I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to survive with three "mastapeece" labels in a single year, but I truly, wholeheartedly feel that this is deserving of that label.

Fav Tracks: Ghosteen, Bright Horses, Hollywood, Night Raid, Sun Forest, Ghosteen Speaks, Spinning Song, Waiting for You

Least Fav Track: Leviathan