MAVI - Let The Sun Talk
Oct 11, 2019
Earl Sweatshirt's "Some Rap Songs" remains one of the most sonically unique records of the past decade. But little did I know that it would spawn a whole group of followers for this sound, and I'll just say this right now. If the sLUms Movement is turning into a whole subgenre, then I'm sure as fuck on board with it!

North Carolina rapper Mavi seems to check all the boxes on "let the sun talk", like the looping, lo-fi, sampled production, the short track lengths and the vocals mixed really high. Hell, it's even produced by none other than Earl Sweatshirt and MIKE. But what makes Mavi unique is just how excellent of a storyteller he is. At such a young age, he deals with a lot of weighty subjects, all while delivering some incredible vocal performances and tight lyricism. Overall, "let the sun talk" is a beautifully-produced touchstone for other sLUm-hop artists to come and I'm very interested in how well this style will progress.

Fav Tracks: eye/nation, moonfire, daylight savings, ghost in the shell, love comma of money, guernica, selflove, omavi

Least Fav Track: II

Score:
9.4
Outstanding
Oct 13, 2019
Great review I just disagree with the idea of the success of Earl's album spawning this sound, because Earl was HEAVILY inspired by MIKE who has been making music with this sound for a fairly long time.
Oct 13, 2019
Personally, SRS feels like the next step in this "sound" despite it being the first major record to turn said sound into a movement ; so while it makes it clear that Earl was influenced by MIKE and less note worthy soundcloud rappers who were building a similar sound Earl has created this weird timeloop, where everything coming out seems like smaller versions of that complete record, also probably why with time SRS is becoming a clearer, less strange instrumentation loop of a record.
itsyahboinoah