Coldplay - Everyday Life
Nov 22, 2019 (updated Nov 22, 2019)
Never have I ever had such high expectations for a Coldplay album and "Everyday Life" comes in to prove me wrong. This is a double LP that focuses on really heavy subject matter. Gun violence, police brutality, racism and other sociopolitical issues inhabit the majority of the record. These topics are extremely important and could be told well through good writing. Sadly, Chris Martin hasn't changed in the songwriting department, instead resorting to shallow lyricism and predictable, uninteresting rhyme schemes. These topics are at least presented well, though. With such worldly themes, you'd expect some diverse sounds and they absolutely hit the nail on the head! "Everyday Life" is simply gorgeous in its production, trading the flavorless pop rock production of previous works for a sheer variety of genres that blend the usual sound with gospel, world music, even bluegrass to accentuate their statement on cultures around the world. This results in what is Coldplay's most experimental and ambitious project to date! Overall, shallow lyrics and a small dose of filler aside, "Everyday Life" is Coldplay's best album since "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends", which was a little over a decade ago!

Also, "Daddy" is a Coldplay song that actually hit me harder emotionally than it should. Fuck. Speaking of fuck, I didn't expect Mr. Martin to say the eff word.

[Sunrise]

8.4
Great
Plats's Tags
Nov 22, 2019
I quite like the songwriting, it feels fun and works with the tone of the album
Nov 22, 2019
@Supertartory I’m glad that people loving this album!

I should also mention that I think the writing does get better later into the album. I just didn’t have anywhere to put it in the review.
Feb 16, 2020