Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Feb 14, 2020 (updated Feb 25, 2020)
Memories... the passage of time... these are subjects we have plenty of fun thinking about, but they’re also quite scary. As much as we love this, we also might regret it or have that one memory that we try to move past. The passage of time is also a huge factor into our lives, trying to figure out what exactly we want to do to make up for our “short” lifespans. Hell, I’m even trying to figure it out. We just have to face these things, somehow. This is a concept Kevin Parker executes excellently on “The Slow Rush”.

Kevin’s simple but smart lyrical style presents us with an introspective look at the concept of time. Past relationships he’s had, bad memories he wants to replace with good ones, the people he knows moving along with their lives and the death of people really important to him that he never spent enough time with, this is some pretty heavy stuff.

But this is a Tame Impala album we’re talking about and lyrics aren’t the biggest thing you’ll find here. Like his other albums, the production is top quality. The shift towards a more disco-tinged sound, on top of the usual psychedelia, encourages groovier instrumentation this time around and a welcome variety of synths. The mixing is also phenomenal here, with the emphasis on bass and drums sounding as crisp as ever, and the soundplay is ingeniously psychedelic. There are also remarkably high highs on here. The slower cuts, “On Track” and especially “Posthumous Forgiveness”, are by far the most gorgeous cuts on here. There are also the infectious, groovier cuts that’ll squeeze their way into the charts like “It Might Be Time” (I still LOVE the way the drums sound on this one), “Lost in Yesterday” and “Is It True”. The only real downside to this album is that Kevin's formula seem to wear out, even become more obvious, a little bit as it goes on. Overall, “The Slow Rush” is yet another high point in Tame Impala’s already outstanding catalog!

Fav Tracks: Posthumous Forgiveness, Breathe Deeper, On Track, It Might Be Time, One More Year, Lost in Yesterday, Is It True, Borderline, Tomorrow’s Dust

Least Fav Track: Glimmer