Mar 20, 2020 (updated Mar 27, 2020)
Abel knocked it out of the park with "After Hours", a drug-fueled journey through the sounds of the 80's and the future joining forces (I'd like to say that it's a mix of his pop stuff with the druggy, more experimental works in the "Trilogy" days). The results on display are magnificent, with thick-ass kick drums and eargasmic synths that accentuate just how well-mixed and produced this album is. Also, Oneohtrix Point Never produced on this album. If that isn't a music nerd's dreams come true, I don't know what is. Abel's pen-game isn't the greatest, which isn't really that surprising, but he still shines on this album with the per-usual gorgeous vocal delivery!

This album also has some of his absolute best work to date! "After Hours" may as well be one of his top 5, "In Your Eyes" is an AMAZING modern dance-pop track... AND IS THAT A FUCKING SAXOPHONE AT THE END HOLY SHIT!!! "Hardest to Love" kinda reminds me of something Aphex Twin would make, "Flim" to be more specific. Sure, there's "Heartless" which is a little too "pussy-centric" for my liking despite the tune and the production from Metro Boomin being really solid. Otherwise, there's not a single track that felt like filler, which is something I haven't said to myself since I listened to "Echoes of Silence" three years ago.

Overall, as someone who's been following The Weeknd for a while now, this was a very pleasant surprise! Other albums would either just drag on for too long, have plenty of filler or just have one or two middling songs, but this felt like a very cohesive listen throughout! It's catchy, it's beautifully produced and there are so many goddamn highlights on here. "After Hours" is easily his best record since "Trilogy"!

Fav Tracks: After Hours, In Your Eyes, Escape from LA, Scared to Live, Faith, Blinding Lights, Hardest to Love, Save Your Tears

Least Fav Track: Heartless