Kero Kero Bonito - Civilisation II
Apr 21, 2021 (updated Apr 21, 2021)
Continuing off of 2019's first "Civilisation" EP, "Civilisation II" is an amazing follow-up that expands upon its predecessor's themes of the world ending. It contrasts a bit to the first one as well. While that EP was more pessimistic of the fate of the world when dealing with issues like global warming, this release is more concerned that we can still spread some optimism and stick together during these troubling times. Starting with "The Princess and the Clock", Sarah Bonito's soft, youthful vocals combined with the amazing synths, fantastic electropop production and themes of growing up while still embracing her younger self easily makes this in my top 5 favorite singles of the year so far and one of the best tracks they've ever done!

The 7-minute opus, "Well Rested" is equally as good. The fantastic groove, the sticky hook, the apocalyptic lyrics, the cute speech sections... it surprised me how they made such a lengthy track compared to everything else in their catalog and somehow execute it this well! "21/04/20" is probably my least favorite of the three tracks, but I still think it's great. It's a city pop-esque dance track that seems to be about keeping in touch with your loved ones during COVID. It's an adorable little track.

All-in-all, I friggin' love this thing! "Civilisation II" is some of their best work to date and a successful swan-song to the "Civilisation" era (at least that's what I'm getting from this release)! The lyrics, the production and the songwriting are KKB at their peak and I'm very intrigued to see where they go from here!

Fav Tracks: The Princess and the Clock, Well Rested