Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
Apr 2, 2021 (updated Apr 2, 2021)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor is back and... "G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!" is the name of their 7th full length. Pissplay aside, I was cautiously optimistic when I first heard the announcement. The last two records weren't bad, in fact they're still acceptably solid in my eyes, it's just that they've shown that Godspeed You! Black Emperor's amazing formula was starting to wear thin. Now that we have "G_d's Pee"... wow.

I'll just cut to the chase. This is their best material since "'Allelujah!", maybe even better! The amount of euphoria and nostalgia I felt from this record I haven't felt from a Godspeed You! release since "Lift Your Skinny Fists". It still recycles the same album format from "'Allelujah!" onwards, but I feel like they've hit the jackpot here! "A Military Alphabet" is a fantastic opener that sets the mood for everything else on this album with the welcome return of field recordings (YUSSSSSS). It's more hopeful and uplifting this time around, which is absolutely something we need while we try to climb out from this nasty pandemic and it's obvious that the band intended it. It has all of those basic fundamentals of a post-rock album, only amplified. The longer tracks don't just build up to one or two crescendos, Godspeed puts in multiple crescendos applied to specific parts of a track. Yes, that absolutely means you get multiple, swelling crescendos in both the opening track and "'GOVERNMENT CAME'" (not only pee but cum too) with every single one building upon the last. The chaos is mind-melting, the pacing is exceptional and the payoff is blissfully. The latter track especially takes the cake as one of the best Godspeed You! tracks yet!

The big flaw that the shorter, more ambient tracks being the weakest on the last few records is mostly gone. "Fire at Static Valley" is weaker, but still terrific. "OUR SIDE HAS TO WIN (for D.H.)", however, has to be the band's best closer since "motherfucker=redeemer". Such a beautiful, peaceful end to such an amazing record! What a fucking return to form! "G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!" is easily their most matured and beautifully composed album in almost a decade!

Fav Tracks: "GOVERNMENT CAME", OUR SIDE HAS TO WIN (for D.H.), A Military Alphabet

Least Fav Track: Fire at Static Valley