Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Jan 12, 2018
I respect this album as one of the most important achievements in hip hop this decade. This is an extraordinary album from a more objective standpoint, as this is lyrically a highly relevant body of work. Sonically, although it does borrow from older sounds in the genre, comes off as a huge breath of fresh air in the context of the current hip hop scene. As a whole, really, this album is refreshing. However, I'd say that this is an album that does little for me at this point. It's something that I can see myself appreciating more than actually enjoying. Kendrick comes through with some truly powerful and memorable songs here, no doubt about it, but he also comes through with some of the most uninteresting songs of his entire career here. I think that the substance is something that is lost on a lot of these songs, and I wish that it was more present in this album. I can understand the hype around this, but nowadays, I can't see myself actually enjoying this.
pouls's Tags
Jan 14, 2018
i see you flip-flop the rating of this album alot. But i understand your complaints about this record. I myself thinks this is top 10 hip-hop albums for me of all time, up there for me with acts like Wu-tang, MF DOOM, death grips and others.
Jan 15, 2018
I know that I do, but this rating is going to be definitive. Objectively, it could be amongst the best hip hop albums for all of the reasons people praise it for. However, it's not subjectively for me, and here are other hip hop albums released this decade that stand to me as being more interesting than this one.