Madlib - Sound Ancestors
Feb 3, 2021 (updated Feb 4, 2021)
VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakzPKtbYIA

I thought madlib couldn't surprise me anymore... WRONG!

We've all listened to a shit ton of madlib by now. We know the immeasurable impact he's had on the genre, we know his signature psychedelic/playful/jazzy sound, we know he's able to make a mix sound fucking fantastic even on an iPad. Is he really capable of putting out another record that'll bring any surprises?

Yes, yes he is.

This is an incredibly versatile record. I don't feel liek typing out a well-worded paragraph so here are some bullet points of what I hear blended together in this album:

- classic trippy madlib we all know and love
- playful clever artsy shit like the slightly-off-beat Young Marble Giants sample
- gorgeous abstract spiritual jazz from all around the world (my fave part of the record)
- strong J dilla influence, including an outstanding track dedicated to Dilla
- strong FlyLo vibes, especially in the chiller moments
- boom bap that occasionally gets pretty aggressive in contrast to this album's usual chillness
- a TON of details in each mix (highly doubt this was mixed on an iPad unless i'm severely underestimating iPads lol)
- freaking Four Tet too!

Long story short, this record covers a LOT of ground, and it does it all really fucking well. Even though it's so diverse, it's packaged together very cohesively like an exploratory jazz record. I'm fucking impressed! I prefer the more laid back moments in this album like Latino Negro but there is surely something in here for everyone. Unless you're a child who needs melodies to sing along with to keep you happy

don't skip this and give it multiple listens
Comments
YuriDING
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - CARNAGE
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
CARNAGE
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - L.W.
L.W.