Black Country, New Road - For the first time
Feb 5, 2021 (updated Feb 6, 2021)
VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SIlvRM0Jk

My patrician senses are tingling...

MOOOOMM!!!! MOMMMM, COME QUICK!!11! LOOK, A PATRICIAN BAND THAT SOUNDS LIKE A BLEND OF SLINT AND KING CRIMSON JUST RELEASED THEIR DEBUT ALBUM!!! THEY'RE GONNA LOOK SO GOOD ON MY TOPSTERS!1!!!

I freakin love it. I've only listened to it once and you know it's already a masterpiece. From the corporate album artwork (ehrm, this is ironic. this is actually a super dissonant and experimental band so they are actually CRITIQUING corporate culture. ignore the fact that this band has gotten a ton of press and resources after releasing only 2 songs, not suspicious at all) to the vocalist who is shivering at every. single. fucking. lyric. like he's on the verge of tears even though the lyrics are mundane as hell (it's actually pretty deep if you listen close enough), this album hits every single check of what a patrician and highly rated experimental rock album is supposed to be!

AND THE FREAKIN SAXORINOOOOOSS PLAYING THE DISSONANT INTERVALS TO REMIND U THAT THIS BAND IS CRAZYYYYYYY

Anyone else get the feeling like they just listened to black midi's Schlagenhiem for the first time all over again?

Anyways, I really like how this album is extremely immediate and transparent with their talent and creative intents, unlike most experimental rock albums that require repeated listens to uncover the brilliance within them (ugh!)

OK Y'all, i think it's safe to say rich white college students in the UK playing jazz is the pinnacle of experimental music. The first masterpiece of the decade, our generation's Spiderland.
Comments