VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhDNTuOfYz8

Sweet Trip scared the shit out of many music nerds this year with their announcement they'd be releasing a new album in 2021, over a decade since their last album You Will Never Know Why came out. Although it was cool we'd be getting more music from a great band, they stood at risk of spoiling their pretty much flawless discography. Like it's hard to think of a more consistent band than Sweet Trip, and even if a new album meant more good music, if this record ended up being sub-par that'd kind of tarnish their legacy amongst the saddest internet music forums such as this one,

Fortunately for us, Sweet Trip somehow pulled this shit off, and they did it really well. A Tiny House is legitimately as good as any other Sweet Trip release, and although they mostly stick with the indietronica shoegaze formula they mastered in their previous albums, there are enough extraordinary moments throughout this record that I could actually see it become many people's absolute favorite from them. With a slightly slower and more laid back energy on this record, Sweet Trip basically lullabies you to sleep with gorgeous melodies, gentle acoustic guitars, and tasteful post rock build ups with many satisfying dream pop textures and glitchy electronic percussion. Eave Foolery Mill Five and At Last a Truth That is Real stand out to me as tracks that execute this formula particularly, however it's really impressive how consistent this record is from start to finish.

I want to again emphasize the "lullaby" aspect here. Although it's a relatively short and simple song, I think Come Spend the Night really sums up the entire attitude of this record. Roberto and Valerie's gentle voices are designed to sooth your anxiety, and hell it could even put a baby asleep. Undoubtably with a 70 minute runtime that's going to bore a lot of people, but for me and many others it creates a blissful 70 minute experience that's worth listening to from start to finish and revisiting just as much as any other Sweet Trip release.

Nice job Sweet Trip, i'm impressed.
Jun 7, 2021