Willow - t r a n s p a r e n t s o u l
VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXOHwOYeMYo

Willow Smith was born into the music industry ruling class with all the resources she could've ever dreamed of at her disposal. Given this privileged background as well as her past poppy output, I entered this song with an extreme level skepticism that it'd be anything other than just a typical pop song that was only "punk" aesthetically for marketing purposes (a trick the music industry often likes to employ).

Well, I have to say my expectations were wrong. This is not a groundbreaking pop punk song, nor is it a particularly inspiring one, but there's no denying there is authentic punk influences within this track. There are clear traces of emo within the guitar work, the vocals have a slight tinge of distortion on them in the chorus, and the drumming by Travis Barker is great as usual (he is an outstanding drummer regardless how you feel of Blink 182).

The reason Willow chose to take this direction with her music has is very clear: the Punk Revolution is working. Even though this is still way too poppy for any reasonable person's taste, and powerful ruling class pop stars releasing punk music is not the goal of the Punk Revolution by any means, the fact that the music industry has conceded at least one punk song to us through their powerful channels strongly indicates that they are aware of us, they know our demands, and they are scared.

Willow Smith, welcome to the Punk Revolution.
Comments