The Weeknd - Dawn FM
VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nqy6L4ORXk

The Weeknd has really impressed me with how many unoriginal ideas he's managed to squeeze into just one record. He straight up used the nostalgic radio gimmick just a year after this album's executive producer Oneohtrix Point Never did the exact same thing in Magic Oneohtrix Point Never. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THIS BLATANT RECYLING?

Alright I guess can look past the recycled radio gimmick (Jim Carrey's performance is entertaining at least) but I am absolutely putting my foot down with the 80's synth pop nostalgia thing still. being. milked. HOW MANY FREAKING ARTISTS HAVE DONE THIS EXACT SAME """""RETRO""""" """""NOSTALGIA"""""" crap in the past decade?? Dua Lipa, Miley Cyrus, Carly Rae Jespen, MGMT, Daft Punk, Jessie Ware, Roisin Murphy, Magdalena Bay, the list goes on and on and on and on, hell The Weeknd himself has already milked the crap out of this lazy theme in his previous albums!! Can this please be the end of it already?

I'm not necessarily opposed to a sort of on-going 80's nostalgia moment happening in contemporary popular music. But if nostalgia is literally all your album has to offer please don't make the music so boring. The nostalgia has been milked so dry the past decade it does absolutely zero for me anymore. If you're going to roll with the trends your record label executives say you must obey, could you at least write a memorable melody here or there? And not have every song sound the same but with slightly different melodies that are all equally forgettable? And stop singing about how badly you want to put your dick into people in between vaguely deep lyrics about growing old and dying? And stop with the creepy vibes your lyrics give off like in How Do I Make You Love Me?

Besides Jim Carrey and Quincy Jones, this album has literally nothing unique to offer. Everything that happens in this album already exists elsewhere, and in much better packages. Jim Carrey being weird isn't enough to make an album good. The Weeknd, please retire immediately.

Comments