VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCptxCeM2I

To be frank, this album contains just about everything I dislike about modern music. Each element of these songs, from the jazz-chord indie guitars, to the alt-r&b vocals whispery Billie Ellish vocals, to the 90's alt rock dance drums, to the extremely manipulated production, reeks of trend-hopping imitations rather than an artist with any skin in the game who needs to FOCUS AND WRITE AN ACTUALLY GOOD SONG.

I dare you to listen to this and tell me ONE memory you remember. Can you remember one melody? NO you can't. You might remember the 90's clean post punky guitar tones playing MAJ7 AND MIN7 CHORDS NONSTOP (which of course sounds like an incredibly incompetent version of Jonny Greenwood) and you might remember the mysterious synthy crescendoes. But this album is meant to be released, impress you in the algorithm, get a BNM, and then be forgotten FOREVER.

In short, the great stuff about this album are things I tend to dislike the most about modern music: expensive production and trendy ingredients. And the bad stuff about this album are what actually makes music worthwhile: good fucking songwriting, chemistry, and authenticity.

This should be held in a museum since it so perfectly captures just how DULL Western culture is in 2022.

edit: I wanted to add that the dealer and midnight sun are quite good. but most of this album is such a slog I gotta give it a low score.

Comments