Earl Sweatshirt - SICK!
Jan 14, 2022
Earl Sweatshirt is one of the most solid names in rap, but unfortunately, it has not yet clicked for me. I must admit to being behind on his discography. I have not heard much of his material, let alone projects like "Some Rap Songs" which have brought forth nothing but respect and praise from many a critic.
Regardless, "Sick!" is hardly the in-depth experience I had now connected to Earl's name in my head. The beats and loops struggle to hold my attention, and many of the bars did not offer any sort of serious shock to my system. It all felt quite empty.
4mo
A fair assessment although I think this album and his previous benefit from multiple listens.
4mo
I listen at least twice before writing, and preferably again while writing.
1mo
^ I only listen to an album more than once if it interests me or I am intrigued by it in some way. For example, I didn't really enjoy IGOR by Tyler the first times through. I actually disliked it quite a bit, but the weird production and singing vocals pulled me back in so I gave it a few more listens. Now I own it on vinyl. Same goes with the following albums: Flower Boy, Doris, IDLSIDGO, SRS, Trilogy, Dawn FM, Because The Internet. I personally wouldn't listen to an album or mixtape that you disliked. I find it to be a waste of time for the most part. Recently, I have been trying to listen to Danny Brown, but his early stuff is just so boring to me, so I only gave his first mixtapes so far 1 listen each. I also only listened to Childish Gambino's early discography once as well.