Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Sep 30, 2019
Wow, sorry it's taken me this long to get to this album! It's been a whole month since this came out and I hadn't even reviewed this!

Weird, cause this is one of my favourite albums of this year!

When it comes to Lana Del Rey's music, I've seen many people extremely divided over her. With Lana, you either like her music or dread it. But while I was listening to this, I couldn't see what some people disliked about her music. Was it her way of singing or writing lyrics? Was it her personality? Cause when I started this album up for the first time, it was starting to sound like something I wasn't going to like. Something just felt a bit hard to listen to with her overall style of writing and singing. But at the same time... I was loving was I was hearing.

I love the sound of this thing. I just love how stripped back and beautifully produced it is. People may dislike the more stripped back sound of this album and say it's boring, and I will say at times it's really just a four-chord piano, but it works so unbelievably well with her voice. Even tracks like Hope is a dangerous thing where the entire instrumental is a piano, the sad nature of the song and the hard-hitting lyrics emphasize the tone of the song so well, and with that song those pianos are all you really need. Most of the time there's more than just pianos, of course. This album houses some of the most beautiful production this year too, on essentially every track.

What really brought me to love this album though was Lana's vocals. The melodies she creates are so unbelievably infectious and drop-dead gorgeous that it just brings this album up so much for me. The hooks on Norman F***ing Rockwell, Mariners Apartment Complex, Venice Bitch (or pretty much every hook on that song), Cinnamon Girl, The greatest, Happiness Is A Butterfly and Hope is a dangerous thing are stunning, and are a high point of every song. Her vocals carry a lot of this album, but it wouldn't be for the gorgeous production that they would work so well.

Norman F***ing Rockwell is an incredibly mature and beautiful art pop album that just houses this spirit I can't help but absolutely love. The lyrics are really well-written, the production is gorgeous and the vocals are probably, from what I've heard of her music so far, her best yet. This is easily one of the most beautiful sounding albums of this entire year and I can see myself returning to stuff on this album so many times. The one complaint I have is that maybe it's a bit long but it never feels like it's dragging on or anything. From what I've seen that's just Lana's style.

Also, Doin' Time is a banger. It might not work amazing in context of the album but jesus christ, it's just such a good cover.

favourite tracks: Norman F***ing Rockwell, Mariners Apartment Complex, Venice Bitch, Doin' Time, Love song, Cinnamon Girl, How to disappear, California, The Next Best American Record, The Greatest, Happiness is a butterfly, Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - *snaps fingers and makes finger guns* but I have it
least favourite: Bartender

Summary: Fantastic
Comments