The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
I've wanted to check out some of The Mars Volta's music for quite a while, since I've seen a lot of people really liking them, and because from what I had heard already I was really digging their large post-hardcore progressive rock sound. I decided to check out their debut album De-Loused in the Comatorium, and I won't lie, this is really good! There's a certain type of energy in their music that you can't really get anywhere else, whether that be the gigantic sounding production and larger-than-life sounding instrumentation, or Cedric's over-the-top vocals, they all come together in such an amazing way.

While there aren't too many differences in the tracks, every track has some absolute highlights that separate each track from one another. This is especially the case with Cedric's vocals, as the choruses and climaxes of the tracks are satisfying and hard as hell, and his vocals carry them immensely. They're definitely not for everyone I can imagine, it's easy to see why his voice might be too wild and out there for other people, but honestly his voice is kind of what made me want to check this band out in the first place.

I have described this album as large and gigantic throughout this review a lot, but that doesn't mean it gets tiring at all. This album does have breathers and some softer spots in the tracklist, like the drones in Cicatriz ESP and the track Televators. But when the climax of the tracks hit, THEY HIT. Plus another thing I've found with this album is that they don't waste time getting the track started, they essentially say "You thought that was cool? Wait 'till you've heard THIS!" And just start rocking the hell out the second the track starts.

I guess the only real things that set back this album are some tracks being a bit repetitive, and the 4th track (an interlude) being a bit weirdly placed or unnecessary, but aside from that De-Loused In The Comatorium is an incredible debut album that works as a great introduction to The Mars Volta. It's solid, it's fun, it's unbelievably hard, and if you're into everything I just described, then this is for you.

favourite tracks: Son et Lumière, Inertiatic ESP, Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of), Eriatarka, Cicatriz ESP, This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed, Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt
least favourite: Tira me a las arañas

Summary: Incredible

Comments