FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
Nov 8, 2019
I've listened to this a few times already and it still feels impossible to put into words. There's just so many elements that I love about MAGDALENE. So let me give this my best shot. I can tell that MAGDALENE is FKA twigs's most personal album to date, as the vocals are some of her most emotional and beautiful, the production is very dreamy and ambient, and the lyrics describe her previous lover and breakup. It's obvious this is a really important album for her, and it really shows. I mean, her vocals are at some of her best yet. And even when they're not at an absolute high, they're very powerful and beautiful, and the melodies are just so beautifully sung. At times she even reminds me of a modern Kate Bush, especially on songs like "sad day".

The ambient and glitchy production fits her voice so well, and never fail to disappoint throughout the album. Even on tracks like cellophane that are basically carried by her voice, it still fits it perfectly. I just can't get enough of the minimalist sound on this album, especially on quieter tracks like thousand eyes. The track holy terrain might not have the most out there production on the album, but despite what people are saying I still love it. Despite all that the production is still amazing, the vocals are incredible and Future's verse works... surprisingly well? I'd say it's even one of my favourite Future verses. Yeah, overall, production's just great.

I guess the only things that bring this album down are some tracks not being as memorable as others, my main example being daybed. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it though, it works amazing in the album. I originally didn't like the breakdown in fallen alien, but it's growing on me. Overall, MAGDALENE is just such a beautifully sung and produced art pop album which will definitely go in my list for favourite pop albums of the year. Just incredible.

favourite tracks: thousand eyes, home with you, sad day, holy terrain, mary magdalene, mirrored heart, cellophane
least favourite: fallen alien if I really had to choose

Summary: Incredible
RakkSmells's Tags
Nov 8, 2019
I would be interested in you making a review on this album on your YouTube channel.

Great review Sam!