Danny Brown - uknowhatimsayin¿
Oct 3, 2019 (updated 1d ago)
After the critically acclaimed powerhouse that was Atrocity Exhibition, it's kind of hard to top such an amazing album. uknowhatimsayin¿ might not be as ambitious, mind-melting or bizarre as that album, but it's not really shooting for such a grim and deranged sound this time around and is taking things in a simpler direction. uknowhatimsayin is an incredibly solid, incredibly well-produced and really well executed album that, unlike his previous albums, is immensely shorter at only 11 tracks and 33 minutes. And in my opinion, it's all for the better, cause there's not really any track here I'd consider bad or unnecessary. In a year where a lot of the top rated projects have been at a much shorter length and are more condensed, a Danny Brown album following that formula is a welcome addition.

The production on this album is really catchy, solid, and one of the major highlights of the album. With Q-Tip on the majority of the production, the samples he uses are excellent and enhance the album's theme even further. Some personal standouts for me are Theme Song, Dirty Laundry and Best Life. JPEGMAFIA even has production credits on the track 3 Tearz, which is stepping into new territory for him as far as I'm aware and is really well made. Flying Lotus's production on Nice Person Spiritual is fantastic, and Thundercat's signature bass on it is incredible. It's by far one of my favourites on the album (absolutely no surprise there.)

Danny's flow is as fun and wild as ever, but it seems on this album he's in a much happier mindset than on Atrocity Exhibition, where he sounded like a deranged maniac. (That's not an insult btw, that's literally the theme of the album). He outshines most of his features on the album, although the featured artists had some really cool contributions too. El-P and Killer Mike had some cool verses on 3 Tearz, JPEGMAFIA's hook on Negro Spiritual was not what I expected from him but I liked it. Would've loved a verse from him though. Blood Orange had an incredibly nice hook on Shine. Danny Brown's lyrics are also great and sometimes absurdly funny.

All in all, uknowhatimsayin is a pretty great album from Danny Brown. It might not break new ground for him and it might not be as ambitious and groundbreaking as Atrocity Exhibition was, but it proves to be a really solid album in execution and the happier sound and mindset makes this album just incredibly fun and enjoyable!

Edit: VIDEO REVIEW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VH5UgcwjWQ

favourite tracks: Theme Song, Dirty Laundry, 3 Tearz, Savage Nomad, Best Life, uknowhatimsayin¿, Negro Spiritual, Shine
least favourite: Combat (still really good though)

Summary: Amazing
RakkSmells's Tags
Oct 4, 2019
Great review, you've convinced me to listen to the album