Bon Iver - i,i
Aug 9, 2019
As someone who loved James Blake's self-titled debut, I can say this album definitely draws some inspiration from that. I mean, the two have collaborated in the past. I quite enjoyed the minimalist and ambient nature of this album. iMi sounds to me like a much more trippy version of Don't Miss It and Jelmore, Hey Ma and Holyfields sound like something that could've been on James's self-titled. Not to say i,i doesn't work on it's own merits. Justin Vernon's vocals are great (even though sometimes they weigh the album down for me) and the more ambient focus on some tracks, especially Sh'Diah, are an incredible touch. There's a lot to love about this album. I do have a few nitpicks though. For one, I feel like some tracks on this album either aren't all that fleshed out, or could have had a lot more to them. Some tracks, while I love them, sorta feel like demos compared to the heavyweights you'd find on James Blake's self titled, like The Willhelm Scream or I Never Learnt To Share. It's as if this is a compilation more than a fully fleshed out album. Some tracks also just didn't need to exist, or were just filler.

But who knows. Considering I'm a sucker for ambient-type music (I mean I did give Oneohtrix Point Never's Replica a 100 in the end), this has the potential to be a grower as a full album. But I suppose I'll leave it at that for now.

favourite tracks: iMi, Holyfields,, Hey Ma, Jelmore, Faith, Salem, Sh'Diah
least favourite: Marion

Summary: Pretty Good
RakkSmells's Tags